Monday, January 26, 2009

Falling In Love With Film Again...



For the past couple of weeks I have been busy shooting large format (4x5) transparencies of artwork for a new client. Until just a few short years ago, this was a staple of my studio business, my bread & butter work so to speak. Then... along came the revolution in digital SLR's and everything changed. I put away the studio's ®Sinar view camera, largely abandoned my in-house darkroom and committed myself to learning and using the new technologies. Besides... the daily doing business with fine-artists was all too frequently maddening. 
Now, after more than 5 years of primarily shooting digital, I have again dusted off the view camera, cleaned out the darkroom, ordered E-6 chemistry and fired up my in-studio E-6 processing line. It's like falling in love again. The need to work slowly & methodically with these types of cameras, the delayed gratification of waiting for the first processed sheets of film to emerge wet from the processor, waiting for the film to dry and then the careful inspection of each sheet of film over a light table using a loupe... I'd forgotten just how magical the entire process is.

No comments: