Flourless Coconut-Pecan Macaroons
- 4 cups (approx. 10 ounces) sweetened bakers coconut
- 1 1/4 cups (approx. 8 ounces) coasely chopped pecans
- 1/3 cup granulated sugar
- 6 large egg whites
- 3 tablespoons light corn syrup
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 teaspoon almond extract
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 bag semi-sweet dark chocolate chips
1) Preheat oven to 350 degrees F, place oven racks in center & top third of oven. Line two large baking sheets with parchment paper or lightly butter surface.
2) Combine coconut & pecans in a large mixing bowl, mix well and set aside.
3) Combine sugar, egg whites, corn syrup, vanilla & almond extracts and salt in a saucepan (thick bottomed ones work best for even heat distribution). Stirring constantly, heat over low heat just until mixture is hot to the touch. Pour miixture over coconut & pecans & mix well.
4) Using a clean table spoon, drop rounded scoops of mixture onto prepared baking sheets, spacing roughly 2 inches apart, Bake until golden brown (15-18 minutes). Transfer to cooling racks.
5) In a double boiler, melt chocolate chips until a pudding-like consistency, then dip the tops of each macaroon in chocolate.
Macaroons can be stored at room temperature in an airtight container for up to one week.
Enjoy & a very Merry Christmas to all!!