Thursday, July 15, 2010

Faces


Entries to the Faces of Hawaii 2010 Photo Portrait Competition were due today. Fortunately, according to their Facebook posting yesterday, all works received in their Kurdistown, Big Island P.O. Box by this Monday will still be eligible for the competition.


 Hi Art Magazine first began publishing back in 2007, is a free online 'zine striving to provide an alternative voice for the arts in Hawaii and is sponsoring this competition... their third year running. The competition this year will be juried by Fine Art Photographer and Educator Kapulani Landgraf. Jury selections to be announced by August 15, will be published in the book Faces of Hawaii Vol. 3 and will be exhibited along with a larger selection of works coinciding with the book's debut sometime in November at location(s) to be announced.


Entering this show has been in the back of my mind since I first heard about it months ago, yet, somehow never managed to bubble up to to the frontal lobe until yesterday when I saw that the deadline had been "extended" and two friends scolded me not for taking decisive action. 


This morning, I began pouring thru images seeking worthy material for the competition, fired up the printer and here's what's ended up being my submission. Now to write the pesky "artist's statement"...  thinking I should contact TS for assistance in this as he shovels it as fast and as deep as anyone I know.



No comments: