Tuesday, May 6, 2008

Away From the Blog

I will be traveling for the next couple of weeks and away from the studio and blog. Tomorrow morning I fly to Honolulu, then on to Guam where I land just long enough to pass thru immigration and reboard another flight to Denpasar, Bali. All in all, about a 13 hour stint cooped up in a metal tube speeding thru the ethers before I reach the Island of the Gods. I hope to be able to post pics and entries during my travels providing I can access the internet from time to time. Stay tuned... I'm sure I will have an opportunity at least when I'm in the south to make an entry or two during breakfast in Blue Ocean Cafe on Legian Beach, where the food is good, the coffee strong and the wi-fi fast and free.

The above photo was taken in August 2006 during the cremation of the last living king of Batubulan. The burning sarcophagi, a magnificently constructed Banda Naga, representing a mythical snak/dragon creature along with an equally ornate Bull sarcophagus representing the high status and caste of the deceased (and also containing his remains), gave off such an intense heat that my polyester sarong began to melt even when standing 50 or more paces away.

No comments: