Friday, April 3, 2009

What To Do, What To Do...


I wish I could write lengthy, insightful and meaningful entries to this blog today but the fact of the matter is, there's really not a lot of useful or interesting stuff going on in either the world of photography or in the photo-blogosphere at the moment. In fact, I've actually taken a little hiatus from reading many of the usual blogs for the last week or two... reading only served to distract me, depress or bewilder me. I mean, just how many twilight, suburban house exteriors can one possibly look at before losing one's mind? 

Everyone seems to be holding their collective breath in the commissioned photography world locally at the moment. Reports from commercial, editorial & wedding/consumer photographers alike are that things are quiet... too quiet. I'm even getting cold calls these days from models on Oahu trying to drum up some business. Trying to get paid for work already delivered is also proving to be a major hurdle and the resorts are cutting hours and personnel in all departments, including administration & accounting, making it highly unlikely that any new work will be commissioned in the immediate future. 

What to do? First... try to keep the old chin up. As you can see, I have been using the downtime to focus on my own marketing in hopes that when this economic constipation finally passes, I will hold a position high in the consciousness of those art buyers that remain after the inevitable shake-ups and fallout that is bound to take place at the big agencies and publications. And... since I was going to have to drop off the files at the printers for the mail promo designed last week, I might as well have two different promos printed at the same time. That way, there will be another fresh piece to go out at very beginning of next quarter. So here it is... a little more in keeping with the work I am know for and a little less edgy & more resort friendly than the band image promo of last week.

1 comment:

- said...

I love your work! I was looking for a follow button on your blog but I could not seem to find it. Anyways, I wanted to say that the economy is bad and even here in Connecticut its terrible. I have in fact quit my job (if that is crazy enough) and I am going back to school for photography. I hope that by the time I am done with my BA the econmomy may be better and I will not have to work in the factory anymore... so I have a blog on here as well. http://paulgandyphotography.blogspot.com/

I will continue to read your blog! Until then be safe, healthy and take lots of those pictures of famous people! lol

thanks,
paul gandy